Friday, March 28, 2008

Extraordinary Friends, Extraordinary Gifts


For whatever reason, I've never been one to have lots of friends. Oh, I know a lot of people. And I'm known by many more. But I can count the close friends I've had in my life on one hand. Fortunately, I now have the best friend I've ever had.

Josh is an exceptional person. Generous and giving to a fault. One of the things I most admire about him -- his amazing gift of giving to others financially, in service, in companionship, in encouragement and support -- is one of my greatest deficiencies. While Josh unconsciously recognizes and zeros-in on the needs and desires of another, I naturally focus on myself. I have to work at putting others first. Josh has done it so well for so long, it's now his nature.

His gift extols a price. Financially, physically, emotionally and mentally. How he does for others all he does I simply cannot figure out. It seems humanly impossible to me. And maybe that's the key.

As a Christian, I believe that God has a purpose and plan for each of us. And that he gives us each one or more extraordinary gifts to use according to his plan. While our gift(s) may not start out as extraordinary, if we use them as intended, God develops and grows the gift(s) until it truly does become extraordinary -- supernatural, if you will.

That's why Josh can give to others in ways I cannot.

While Josh's giving exacts a cost to him, I am witness to the fact that he receives much more in return. The joy and contentment that is his when he knows he's made a difference in the life of another -- what price can be put on that? While I am sometimes concerned that he gives too much and that he neglects himself and does not say "no" when I think he should, I stand in awe of the gift God has given Josh and how powerfully it is manifested through Josh's faithful stewardship.

Josh is as good a friend as he is a giver. That's because a second extraordinary gift he possesses is loyalty. I could tell you story after tragic story of the sacrifices Josh has made and the trials he has endured for the sake of our relationship. Suffice it to say, he's a great friend. As I said above, my best ever and my life partner.

Josh inspires me to want to be a better giver and a better friend. He lifts me up and is truly a blessing from above. I pray I may be blessed with him for many, many years to come.

Father, thank you for the extraordinary qualities you possess and see fit to so graciously share with us. Thank you for the gifts of giving and loyalty that I and so many others enjoy so much in Josh. Bless him for using his gifts for the benefit of others and your glory alone. Reveal to each of us the extraordinary gifts you've given us. Help us to use them according to your plan. And in so doing, make us extraordinary friends to others.

No comments: