Sunday, March 8, 2009

Grace: No Greater Love


In his book, The Grace Awakening, Charles Swindoll describes biblical grace as being like the man who, instead of pursuing vengence against his young son's murderer or even of insisting on lawful justice, pleads for the murderer's pardon, completely forgives him, takes him into his own home and adopts him as his own son.



Crazy? It certainly seems so to us. But isn't Dr. Swindoll correct?



Consider the example of King David. Saul did everything in his power to prevent David from succeeding him on the throne. He repeatedly tried to kill David. Despite David's uncompromising loyalty and his uncommon love for Saul's son, Jonathan, Saul sought to destroy his most successful soldier, most selfless servant, and most submissive subject. Following Saul's death and that of his three sons, David became king. Saul's relatives fled in fear of their lives. Jonathon's son, Mephibosheth, a babe crippled by a fall as his nurse stole him away in panic, lived for years in self-imposed obscurity, every day fearful of discovery.



David did learn of and find Mephibosheth. He had Mephibosheth brought before him and Mephibosheth trembled in fear. Laying prostrate before the king, the crippled and broken Mephibosheth resigned himself to his unavoidable fate.



David ordered that all of Saul's former property be given to Mephibosheth. And he invited Mephibosheth to dine with him in the palace as his honored guest as often as possible.



What had Mephibosheth done to deserve this? Nothing. What could he do to repay the king for his kindness and generosity? Nothing. What did Mephibosheth have to do to keep the king's favor? Nothing.



David didn't do what he did for Mephibosheth's sake. He did it for Jonathon's sake...the one he loved and who's love was better than that of a wife.



Had the child's murderer done anything to merit the father's forgiveness, much less his love and adoption? No way! But that's what grace is...unmerited favor. It can't be earned. It's not deserved. It's not at all fair. It is beyond fair...crazy beyond!



It's what every Christian has received from God...not for our sakes, but for the sake of Jesus who loved us so much that he died in our place to pay the price for our sins so that we may be adopted as sons and daughters of God, brothers and sisters to Jesus. "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! I was was lost, but now am found; was blind but now I see."



I often remind myself of my need to forgive others because of the forgiveness I've received from God. As difficult as that sometimes is, God's spirit within me, tells me it is the proper and godly response. Even more difficult for me, however, is to accept that beyond forgiveness, I should give others grace...unmerited favor, acceptance and love...regardless of what they may have done, regardless whether I think they'll appreciate it or not; regardless whether I believe it will have any transformative effect in their lives or not. It's not for me to pursue spiritual justice against others. It's not for me to judge others at all. God calls me only to love others -- even as much as I love myself. And the greatest expression of love I can give another is to extend God's grace. As crazy as it may seem. No matter how stupid I may look in the eyes of others, even in the eyes of my recipient. It is what God has done for me. If I am to be like him, faithful and obedient to him, it is what I must do for others.



Imagine what our lives would be like were we to extend to one another true grace. What would our families and churches and friendships be like? How would be our witness the world...to non-Christian relatives, friends, co-workers and church members?



Lord, help us to extend to others the grace you extend to us. Help us to love others as you love us. Show us how and when we can give grace to others and give us enough love and gratitude to you to obediently act in your will. Grow us into your image, and to you be all the glory, honor and praise. Amen.

No comments: